Thursday, May 28, 2015

Genealogists LOVE Office Supplies

Photo by Midge Frazel 28 May 2015
Why Do Genealogists Love Office Supplies?

It is scary how much my genea-friends love office supply stores. All of us even the #iamnextgen people. The Organized Genealogist Facebook page is one of the most popular. 

I have always loved anything paper and next to going to bookstores, I would say that when places like Staples and Office Max started to appear like pop-up cards in small malls, I couldn't get there fast enough. I even love that section in Walmart and Target. Of course, then they decided to sell electronics. Yum. This is MY kind of shopping. Online is good too but not a much fun as walking around one of these places and then getting a highly caffeinated drink. 

My favorite time of year is back to school because I can go inside one of these air conditioned stores and start my Christmas shopping. After this horrible winter, I was looking forward to sales before they start the school supplies madness. So, today, I went to Office Max. Wheeeeeeeeee!

I really got some great bargains. The big black box is so I can organize the files I need handy for medical and banking. When I moved here and had to find new banks and medical people, it really cut into my genealogy time. It is almost five years later and I am still trying to solve this problem without buying a real filing cabinet. Believe it or not The Container Store did not have anything I liked. 

The rest of the stuff you see in this photo is now put away for my birthday and Christmas bags. Hubs replenished his they-aren't-permanent hooks and velcro. Hey, we all have our needs.

My worry was that this store looked quite empty of stock. I hope they are just getting ready for fall. 

The Tablet Lift was on sale! Wasn't I lucky?

Why do genealogists love this kind of shopping?

I started a Pinterest board

11 comments:

  1. I have to confess that I'm not an office supplies person. I do have some 3 ring binders and one of those soft file cases, but that's it. I rarely use my printer. All my genealogy work is on computer, in the cloud, and on an external hard drive and a few thumb drives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, when the Container Store isn't sucking money out of my wallet, they are having a bad day for sure, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd LOVE my local Staples. The Dunkin' is right across the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee and office supplies. I think I just fainted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I either live in a town that's too small or haven't been shopping enough. I've never heard of a tablet lift. Gonna have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A trip to an office supply store is definitely my idea of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm salivating. We don't have the range of goods here in Australia that you have. Whenever I visit the US I come home with new supplies and gadgets. Some stuff I can buy on Amazon but lots of goodies can't be shipped downunder.My fave shop is B & H Photographics in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm salivating. We don't have the range of goods here in Australia that you have. Whenever I visit the US I come home with new supplies and gadgets. Some stuff I can buy on Amazon but lots of goodies can't be shipped downunder.My fave shop is B & H Photographics in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. I LOVE office supplies! I am moving into a new office (one of my daughters got married and I am taking over her bedroom). I will be spending some serious time at Staples :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Genealogist are not the only ones that love office supplies stores, though! I've had a long time relationship with the Staples in my neighborhood. I was one of the first customers through the doors, when they opened up for the first time several years ago!

    ReplyDelete